The rich, vibrant flavor of these apricots makes them a terrific snack. These plump, moist apricots can be chopped up and added to trail mix, baked into your favorite cookies and used to add a sweet touch to favorite savory recipes.
Mixed Grain Pilaf with Dried Apricots and California Pistachios
Yields 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup amaranth
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 3/4 cup Basmati rice
- 1/4 cup millet
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup California pistachios, lightly toasted
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat
- Add amaranth, quinoa, rice and millet and stir 1 to 2 minutes until grains are coated and hot. Increase heat to high.
- Add apricots, 3/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, stock, and water - bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 25 minutes until grains are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Add California pistachios and fluff with a fork to mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.