Chicken Barley Soup
- 2 Tbs peanut oil
- 2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken (thighs and breasts), cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1/3 cup dry vermouth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and brown on all sides. Remove the chicken from the pan with a slotted spoon, reserving the oil in the pan, and set aside.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots to the pan and sweat for 4 minutes, until tender.
- Add the thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the stock and pearl barley. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 1 hour, until the barley is tender.
- Stir in the vermouth and simmer for 2 minutes to heat through.
- To serve, remove the bay leaves, ladle the soup into bowls, and top with the chopped parsley.
Nutrition Note: Nutrition Facts calculated using a serving size of 1 cup.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.