Couscous with Tomatoes, Basil, and Lentils
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable juice cocktail, (V8 or seasoned tomato juice)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup lentils, uncooked, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf, broken in half
- 1/2 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup couscous, uncooked
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- In a medium-sized pot, heat oil until hot and sauté garlic until tender. Stir in vegetable juice, water, lentils, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until lentils are soft but not mushy.
- Remove pot from heat and discard bay leaf. Stir in couscous, tomato and basil. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until the couscous is soft. Uncover and fluff with a fork to separate the grains.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.