Sam E Supplements
- 2 Products in Sam E
S-adenosylmethionine (which fortunately is usually referred to simply as SAMe) is a unique compound found in most every tissue and fluid in the body. Its chemical structure, and its name, are derived from two materials you already know about methionine (the sulfur-containing amino acid), and adenosine triphosphate, (the body's main source of energy).
SAMe does a lot of beneficial things. It helps maintain cell membranes, and participates in the production of important brain chemicals such as serotonin, melatonin, and dopamine.
SAMe was discovered in Italy in 1952 and used originally to support mood and sense of well-being. Later, scientists noted it also helped patients with joint health. As a result, SAMe has been used extensively in Europe for more than 20 years.
- SAMe is the term used to describe S-adenosylmethionine, a vital substance found in most cells which is essential to many biochemical reactions in the body.
- SAMe may play a role in increasing the synthesis and breakdown of specific neurotransmitters, and may enhance the sensitivity of nerve receptors in the brain.
- SAMe supports mood and emotional well-being.
- SAMe promotes healthy joint function and comfort.
- SAMe helps maintain healthy cartilage.
- SAMe supports liver health.
- Because of age or other factors, the levels of SAMe can fluctuate or become imbalanced.
- The body makes SAMe from the amino acid methionine.
- SAMe is required for cellular growth and repair.
- It is involved with the biosynthesis of hormones and neurotransmitters including dopamine and serotonin which affect mood.
- Some research suggests SAMe is useful as a supplement for mood and well-being, and is easy for the system to assimilate.
- SAMe may support joint comfort and cartilage maintenance.
- Some people may have difficulty synthesizing SAMe in their bodies, but taking it as a supplement may help support liver health.
SAMe is not found in appreciable quantities in foods, so it must be taken as a supplement in order to increase levels in the body.
It is produced by the body from ATP and the amino acid methionine.
The structure function claims made on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These dietary supplement products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.