Hazelnuts or filberts have a full, rich distinctive, slightly woody flavor. This is an excellent nut to add to mixed nut snacks or trail mixes because of the unique taste.
Savory Fruit & Nut Stuffing Recipe
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 50 min | Serves: about 8
- 1 large whole loaf of bread, cubed (about 8 cups)
- 1 lb. pork sausage
- 3/4 cup High Valley Orchard Cranberries
- 3/4 cup High Valley Orchard Sun Sweetened Apricots
- 1/2 cup High Valley Orchard Raw Filberts
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 & 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon savory, ground
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1) Cover the dried fruit over with hot water for 10 min., to plump/rehydrate. Drain and set aside.
2) Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat and add the onions and celery. Sweat for about 5 minutes.
3) Add the herbs, salt and pepper and cook vegetables until tender.
4) In another skillet, cook sausage until done and browned.
5) In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients, except stock.
6) Slowly pour in stock, making sure all bread becomes moistened, and mix until combined.
7) Pack into a buttered baking dish and bake at 350˚ for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.
Add mushrooms for an extra earthy flavor.Use sage flavored sausage to enhance the sage flavor.