Ah, garlic…does the thought of it make your mouth water and your senses perk up?
For thousands of years, garlic has been used as an advantageous herb and as a culinary spice. Its history traces back to 510 A.D. in ancient China, where it has become an important element of traditional Chinese health practices. Today, the country produces nearly 80% of the world’s supply of garlic.
Garlic has maintained its popularity through the centuries. Modern-day research has revealed an interesting look into what gives garlic its beneficial properties and what it can do for wellness.
Health benefits of garlic
Today, scientists know that garlic’s health benefits can be accessed when garlic is crushed or chopped. The natural active ingredients in garlic include alliin and allicin. When raw garlic is crushed, an enzyme called allinase acts on an amino acid (alliin) to produce the compound allicin. These nutrients provide garlic with its beneficial properties. Here are some of the health benefits of garlic:
- Traditionally used for heart and cardiovascular health.** Traditional use claims are based on historical or traditional practices. Garlic has been traditionally used for cardiovascular health, as recorded in ancient Roman and Ayurvedic texts.
- Garlic is believed to support heart health by helping maintain healthy blood flow.**
>>Shop all heart health supplements
Puritan’s Pride is proud to carry a variety of garlic supplements to support well-being.** And if you’re worried about garlic’s pungent odor, don’t worry: our enteric-coated, odor free-garlic supplements bypass the stomach to prevent the unpleasant taste of garlic for those who are garlic sensitive. The enteric coating serves as a protective barrier so that garlic can be absorbed in the small intestine where it can provide you with the greatest benefits.
We’ve also combined the goodness of garlic with other nutrients to increase wellness benefits in supplements such as:
Other garlic supplements include:
We also carry other supplements that use garlic for nutritional benefits. CholestWise with Plant Sterols is an innovative supplement that also works to promote cardiovascular and circulatory wellness.** It contains fish oil, plant sterols, niacin, omega-3 fatty acids, and of course, garlic!
>>Shop all garlic supplements
Fun facts about garlic
Here are some other unique facts about garlic and its history:
- The average person eats two pounds of garlic per year. That’s more than 300 cloves!
- Garlic is a very hardy plant and not as susceptible to pests as other plants.
- Athletes in ancient Greece ate garlic before competing.
- Pharaoh Tutankhamun’s tomb contained preserved garlic bulbs.
- Sailors used garlic as a talisman on long sea voyages.
- In 2018, more than 28 million metric tons of garlic was produced.
If history is any indicator, garlic isn’t going anywhere, and until science reveals more about this pungent herb, we can all keep enjoying it in food and supplements!